MBK chairman makes donation to promote Korean art at New York's Met
简介Seoul-based private equity firm MBK Partners Founder and Chairman Michael Byung-ju Kim has offered a ...
Seoul-based private equity firm MBK Partners Founder and Chairman Michael Byung-ju Kim has offered a donation to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York to promote Korean art in the museum, the firm said Tuesday.
The donation is part of the Korean Art Initiatives project, which was devised to honor the 25th anniversary of the Arts of Korea gallery at the museum, along with the Korea Foundation and the Samsung Foundation of Culture.
Scholarships and educational programs will help to bolster the presentation of Korean art at the museum. Michael Byung-ju Kim’s donation, in particular, will be used to purchase and collect Korean art to be displayed at the museum.
Thanks to major support through the project, the Met also established a new curatorship for Korean art last month. Eleanor Soo-ah Hyun, who currently serves as associate curator for Korean art at the Met, will be the first recipient of the position endowed by the Korea Foundation and the Samsung Foundation of Culture.
Kim’s latest contribution follows the previous year's $10 million donation for the renovation work of the Met’s new wing for modern and contemporary art. He has also served as an elective trustee at the New York-based museum since 2017.
“I’m honored to support such a world-class collection of Korean art at the Met, sharing them with the global audience,” said Kim.
“We express our utmost gratitude to Michael B. Kim and his wife Park Kyung-ah for their generosity, which will enrich the Museum’s Korean art collection,” said Max Hollein, CEO of the Met, in a statement.
Since 1998, the Met has presented Korea’s artistic and cultural heritage by opening an individual gallery for Korean arts. Commemorating the 25th anniversary of the gallery, the Museum will open the “Lineages: Korean Art at The Met” exhibition this fall, displaying the juxtaposition of historic and contemporary Korean artwork.
The Ven. Jaseung, a former leader of the Jogye Order, the nation's largest Buddhist sect, has d ...
LONDON -- South Korea's presidential office suggested Tuesday that a 2018 inter-Korean military ...
President Yoon Suk Yeol on Tuesday urged the United Kingdom to jointly overcome the challenges in th ...
- [Hello Indonesia] Indonesian developer aims to build self
- [Our Museums] Exploring quirky yet thoughtful world of Mr. Toilet House
- More relevant than ever, closer to original musical 'Rent' returns for 9th run
- T1, Faker unrivaled at 2023 LoL World Championship
- ASEAN filmmakers' works to be screened in Busan
- King Charles welcomes South Korea's president with state banquet, mingles with K
- Architect Dominique Perrault's 'Lightwalk' displayed at French Embassy in Seoul
- 여권 ‘TK 지지율’ 비상…오늘 서울 오는 박근혜에 주목
- Yoon meets disgraced ex
- 유엔 대북제재위 "北 가상화폐 탈취 2조3000억, 이전보다 3배"
- [KH Explains] A look back on Lee Jae
- [Life In Korea] Delivering 'taste of life' via street art
- Hyundai Motor posts highest Q3 earnings on upbeat US sales
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- Prestige Biopharma eyes complete value chain
- Revamped 'Sister Act' with diverse cast gets ready for international premiere
- Jungkook's 'Golden' hits No. 2 on Billboard 200 with biggest
- ‘험지 출마’ 압박받는 장제원, 4200명 운집 산악회로 세 과시
- Bass Youn Kwang
- [Herald Interview] Korean 'changgeuk' meets Peking opera
- Yoon's approval rating falls for first time in 3 weeks to 34.7%
- Journey to Joseon scholars' timeless dwellings
- 야당, 노란봉투·방송3법 강행…여당, 필리버스터 예고
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Buddhism scholar committed to expanding Korean studies at Yale
- 윤 대통령, 오스틴 美국방과 만찬 “北, 하마스식 도발땐 단호히 응징”
- 검사탄핵안 이어…야당, 이번엔 검사 좌표찍기
- Park Bom to return with new single ‘I’
- STX to supply lithium with South American partners
- 인요한 "변하든지 죽든지…말 듣지 않으면 매도 들 수 있다"
- AI in your pocket: Samsung Galaxy S to feature real
- [New on the Scene] Joo Jong
- Jungkook adopts guerilla tactics for 'Golden' promotion
- Jeju female divers 'haenyeo' listed as FAO agricultural heritage system
- 신당 추진 이준석 ‘천아용인’과 회동…김용태 “작전 이해 간다”
- KDI slashes 2024 growth to 2.2%
- National Museum of the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty to open in Pyeongchang