Import prices up for 3rd month in September on higher oil prices
简介South Korea's import prices rose for the third straight month in September due to the higher pr ...
South Korea's import prices rose for the third straight month in September due to the higher price of crude oil, central bank data showed Tuesday.
The import price index rose 2.9 percent last month from a month earlier following a 4.2 percent rise and a 0.2 percent advance in August and July, respectively, according to the preliminary data from the Bank of Korea.
In August, the index spiked by the most in 17 months.
From a year earlier, the prices fell 9.6 percent, the data showed.
Import prices are a major factor that determines the path of the country's overall rate of inflation.
The Dubai crude price, South Korea's benchmark, stood at $93.25 per barrel in September, up from $86.46 the previous month, according to the central bank.
The import prices of raw materials rose 5.7 percent, while those for intermediate goods gained 2 percent.
The export price index also rose 1.7 percent in September, marking a rise for the third straight month.
Meanwhile, South Korea's consumer prices accelerated by the most in five months in September, driven by higher oil costs and rising prices of some farm goods.
Consumer prices, a key gauge of inflation, rose 3.7 percent last month from a year earlier, accelerating from a 3.4 on-month rise in August.
In August, the BOK kept its key interest rate unchanged at 3.5 percent for the fifth straight time. The central bank delivered seven consecutive rate hikes from April 2022 to January 2023. (Yonhap)
Subscription rates for streaming services are rising amid already high inflation, and such price hik ...
Every Oneus album is a well-made package of music, story, artistry and performance. With its latest ...
If you are looking for a place to spend some quality family time during the six-day holiday that sta ...
- Celltrion's Zymfentra to make US debut in February
- Asiana may ditch cargo business to close Korean Air merger deal
- [Our Museums] Gyeonggi Ceramic Museum shows artistic essence of ceramics throughout history
- Questions remain after passage of anonymous birth bill
- 홍준표 "엑스포 박빙 보고…尹 파리 출장가게 한 참모들 징계해야"
- S. Korean ambassador says stronger Russia
BM of Kard to return solo with single ‘Lowkey’ this month
문재인 "부동산 정책, 초유 상황에 실책…신뢰 잃어 뼈아프다"
S. Korea finishes 3rd with 42 gold medals at Hangzhou Asian Games
Questions remain after passage of anonymous birth bill
이종석 헌재소장 임명안 국회 통과…수장 공백 21일 만에 해소
Seoul prepares for first major military parade in ten years
- Yoon calls for enhancing connectivity of world economy with APEC at center
- LG to debut EV chargers in US next year
- S. Korea, US explore ways to expand ties in energy, supply chains
- [New in Korean] Seven minds share single body in '7
- [Today’s K
- Seoul shares open lower on US economic data
- ‘Concrete Utopia,’ ‘Moving’ sweep 59th Daejong Film Awards
- IMF calls for restrictive monetary policy for S. Korea 'for considerable time' to tame inflation
- S. Korea secures 5th consecutive term on UNESCO executive board
- KB approves of Yang Jong
- PM makes official visit to Denmark to promote Expo bid
- Trend forecaster Kim Ran
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains after Fed comments
- 尹 “하마스 무차별 공격 규탄”...척 슈머 등 美 상원 대표단 접견
- Hanwha at forefront of Korea’s space leadership
- 218 Koreans head home from Israel: Foreign Ministry
- The ruling party vows extraordinary measures to win back people's trust after crushing by
- [HIT Forum] 'Korea ready to become aerospace powerhouse'
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- [HIT Forum] Sci
- 판 커진 구청장 선거…민주당 크게 이겼다
- LG CNS launches new AI platform for corporate clients
- Samsung SDI, Stellantis to set up 2nd JV plant in Indiana
- Russian, Uzbek nationals under investigation after campsite brawl
- S. Korea warns of potential NK surprise attacks using Hamas tactics
- Sejong University ranks 8th among Korean peers in world university rankings for 3rd consecutive year
- Samsung Electronics tips Q3 operating profit to plunge 78% on semiconductor losses
- Israleli strikes flatten entire neighborhoods as Gaza faces imminent blackout
- [Korean History] In 2003's Daegu, disaster plays out underground
- 민주당 개표 초반부터 환호성…김태우 캠프엔 적막 가득했다