Hyundai Motor chair wins top UK royal honor
简介Hyundai Motor Group Executive Chair Chung Euisun has received the Order of the British Empire from B ...
Hyundai Motor Group Executive Chair Chung Euisun has received the Order of the British Empire from Britain's King Charles III, the carmaker said Wednesday.
Among the five classes of the order, Chung was awarded the Honorary Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. Colin Crooks, British ambassador to the Republic of Korea, delivered the medal on behalf of the king at the British Embassy in Seoul.
Chung was recognized for his accomplishments in low-carbon mobility expansion and his yearslong sponsorship of the Tate Britain, one of the most renowned museums for British art, according to Hyundai.
“I believe I was bestowed with the Order of the British Empire for contributing to the alliance and friendship of Korea and the UK. Hyundai Motor Group will continue to strengthen the bilateral ties in future business, culture and art, and sports,” said Chung, in his acceptance speech.
From January to October this year, the company sold a total of 173,000 vehicles in the country, an 8.7 percent jump compared to a year earlier, holding a 9.2 percent market share.
Its electric vehicles sold 28,000 units in the same period, becoming the No. 3 EV brand following Tesla and Volkswagen Group. Hyundai’s flagship electric car model Ioniq 5 and its smaller sibling Kia’s EV6 were selected as the car of the year by the UK’s top car magazines last year.
The company recently joined hands with the UK-based Rolls-Royce, Urban Air Port and local communities like the West Midlands and Coventry in the advanced air mobility business. It plans to co-develop hydrogen fuel cell and battery propeller systems in aircraft and set up infrastructure for air transportation.
As the official sponsor of the Genesis Scottish Open, a professional golf tournament held in the UK, Hyundai said it is also playing a key role in sports diplomacy between Korea and the UK.
The company said Chung became the second Hyundai chairman to have received the award, following the late Hyundai founder Chung Ju-yung, the chairman’s grandfather, who was honored with the same title back in 1977.
The late Chung took out a loan from the UK’s Barclays Bank and set up a shipbuilding base in Ulsan, South Gyeongsang Province in the early 1970s -- which set up the foundation for HD Hyundai Heavy Industries, one of the largest shipbuilders in the world. He also served as a Korean commissioner for the Korea-UK Economic Cooperation Committee.
Under Chung’s watch, Hyundai Motor Group ventured into the UK with its first car export in 1982.
In addition to the honorary title from the king, Chung Euisun was selected as the person of the year by the US-based car magazine MotorTrend early this year. Last year, he won the visionary of the year title for his speech in the World’s Greatest Auto Disruptors hosted by the US Newsweek. Chung was also awarded the most prestigious Issigonis Trophy from the UK’s car magazine, Autocar, in 2021.
장예찬 국민의힘 청년최고위원. 뉴스1장예찬 국민의힘 청년최고위원은 3일 더불어민주당 이상민 의원이 민주당을 탈당하며 ‘이재명 사당’, ‘개딸(개혁의 딸)당으로 변질’ 등을 언급한 ...
Starting Friday, chatbot services in English will be made available on the Ttareungi app -- a mobile ...
The country's top court on Thursday acquitted Kim Seok-kyun, former chief of the Korea Coast Gu ...
- 북·러 또 무기거래? "나진항에 석달새 대형선박 18척 드나들어”
- Embracing setbacks: KAIST students vie for the inaugural 'worst failure' crown
- Biden picks top Asia aide as nominee for deputy secretary of state
- Seoul shares open higher on Fed's rate freeze
- Remaining BTS members to begin military service next month
- PPP decides to lift membership suspensions of ex
Bomb threat causes midnight fuss at Yonsei university
Paris Baguette inks sponsorship deal with Paris Saint
KITA chief touts Ireland’s business
Jungkook, Red Velvet, Stray Kids, new YG girl group among year
Finance ministry to sell 4.7 tln won in NXC stocks
PPP launches special committee on plan to include Gimpo into Seoul
- FSC lays out plan to boost pet insurance enrollment
- 탄약 찾는 러…국방부 "北컨테이너 적재량, 포탄 수십만발 분량"
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- Seoul subway workers vote for strike plan
- [Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
- 이준석, 눈물의 회견…尹대통령 향해 "與 묵언 수행 저주 풀라"
- S. Korea set to open largest
- Import prices up for 3rd month in September on higher oil prices
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- Enjoying Halloween in Itaewon sparks debate online
- Seoul shares end higher on tech gains, Fed comments
- [Herald Interview] Alex Olle’s realistic reimagination of opera ‘Norma’ keeps art form alive
- Igis launches $100m secondary fund for overseas investment
- South Korean oil payments for Iran frozen again over Hamas links
- GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
- S Korea, UAE to hold aviation talks over potential increase in bilateral flights
- Korean economy expected to grow by 2.1% in 2024: Hana Institute
- Dansaekhwa master Park Seo
- Lightsum's new album ‘Honey or Spice’ tickles tastebuds
- Samsung owns largest No. of Israeli subsidiaries among S. Korean conglomerates: report
- Gwanghwamun's 'woldae' to be unveiled this week after restoration
- “北, 무단철거 금강산 골프장서 옥수수 건조”
- P&G Korea launches premium diaper to combat skin dryness
- 'Basel Night' at Swiss Embassy in Seoul heralds Basel's cultural legacy
- Le Sserafim to release first English single 'Perfect Night'
- Le Sserafim becomes house ambassadors for Louis Vuitton
- BOK wins lawsuit on face of Korea's 100 won coin
- Seoul shares dip 1 pct on Fed rate hike woes, won sharply slides
- Chinese avant
- NMK to extend support for Korean galleries at six museums abroad