UNC members renew commitment against any NK armed attack
简介The 17 member states of the United Nations Command on Tuesday reaffirmed their commitment to collect ...
The 17 member states of the United Nations Command on Tuesday reaffirmed their commitment to collective action in the event of any hostile actions or armed attacks by North Korea on the Korean Peninsula.
The UNC member states, who once united under the one UN flag to furnish forces and assistance for South Korea during the 1950-53 Korean War, gathered again in Seoul for the recommitment.
The assembly on Tuesday marked the first-ever defense ministerial meeting between South Korea and the UNC member states, hosted by South Korea's Defense Ministry, coinciding with the 70th anniversary of the signing of the armistice agreement.
"The UNC Member States declared that they will be united upon any renewal of hostilities or armed attack on the Korean Peninsula challenging the principles of the United Nations and the security of the Republic of Korea," read a joint statement adopted at the meeting. Republic of Korea is the official name of South Korea.
The UNC member states' reaffirmation was the first since the original commitment on July 27, 1953, when Korean War hostilities ended with a cease-fire.
Seven decades ago, the 16 countries that fought alongside South Korea signed a separate Joint Policy Declaration in Washington. The Declaration says, "If there is a renewal of the armed attack, we should again be united and prompted to resist."
Of the 16 countries that sent troops and six others that provided vital medical assistance, 17 have remained as UN Command member states.
During this meeting, the UN Command and South Korea's Defense Ministry also respectively outlined the UNC's role in deterring war and preserving peace on the Korean Peninsula as well as strategies to enhance cooperation and solidarity between South Korea and UNC member countries.
As the outcome, the UNC member states alongside South Korea, pledged to strengthen cooperation to support the UNC's vital functions.
The UNC was established in July 1950, just one month after North Korea's invasion of South Korea under UN Security Council Resolutions. It was the first attempt at collective security within the UN system.
The primary missions of the UNC include enforcing and upholding the armistice agreement to maintain stability and peace on the peninsula, as well as providing forces and essential supplies in the event of contingencies.
"In managing persistent security challenges, the defense ministers and representatives are determined to continue increasing mutual exchange and cooperation between the ROK-US Alliance and UNC Member States to inform our combined training and exercises," the statement said, recognizing "ongoing security challenges."
The statement also "strongly condemned the DPRK’s unlawful nuclear and ballistic missile programs which violate multiple United Nations Security Council resolutions," referring to North Korea by the acronym of its official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
The government on Saturday posthumously conferred a state medal on late Ven. Jaseung, a former leade ...
Jungkook of BTS announced a music collaboration with world-renowned artists on Friday.He featured in ...
South Korean stocks dropped by more than 1 percent to the lowest point in over seven months Friday a ...
- Govt. posthumously confers state medal on late Ven. Jaseung
- [KH Explains] Tesla ditching its premium strategy?
- [Exclusive] Asia's Tang Contemporary Art to open first Western outpost in London
- [Herald Review] Stray Kids perform new standard of '5
- [New in Korean] Bae Myung
- Three bidders vie for major stake in news channel YTN
National Orchestra of Korea's 'Winter Concert' to bring harmony of tradition, musicals
Economy set for mild recovery, but bumpy road still ahead: BOK
S. Korea's malaria cases reach highest level in 12 yrs
China’s export curbs on graphite may raise battery prices for EVs
'12.12: The Day' surpasses 4m ticket sales on 12th day of release
[Photo News] Mt. Seorak welcomes first snow of the season
- Biden picks top Asia aide as nominee for deputy secretary of state
- PPP decides to lift membership suspensions of ex
- 인재영입위원장에 이철규 내정…김웅 "윤심만 영입하겠단 것"
- 北고려항공, 베이징으로 주 3회 비행…정기 운항 복귀 한 듯
- ‘It’s OK to put fried chicken, ramen on jesa table’
- 美 ICBM '미니트맨
- 인재영입위원장에 이철규 내정…김웅 "윤심만 영입하겠단 것"
- Jungkook, Red Velvet, Stray Kids, new YG girl group among year
- Seoul shares shoot up nearly 2% on Fed's back
- 與 "고물가로 민생 어렵다면서 돈 풀자는 이재명…모순덩어리"
- 한·사우디 43년 만의 공동성명 “방산·네옴시티 협력 강화”
- 이재명, 여·야·정 3자 회동 제안…"바지사장 아닌 尹 직접 나서야"
- AI Auction debuts tax consultant chatbot
- Italian, Egyptian, Taiwanese, Japanese webtoonists to attend Busan Webtoon Festival
- Business sentiment falls in S. Korea over Middle East tensions: poll
- 윤재옥 "이재명 '내각 총사퇴' 주장, 정쟁을 위한 도전장"
- The Boyz to return next month with new album
- Celltrion chief calls merger crucial to beat bigger rivals
- Enhypen's 'Fate' tour draws 85,000 fans in the US
- [사진] 빈 살만 운전 자청, 윤 대통령 동행
- [Today’s K
- 국회서 피켓‧고성 사라지나…여야, 정쟁자제 '신사협정' 체결
- Rich culture of masks in Korea, Japan and China on show at Folk Museum
- Seoul shares open flat despite US gains
- Hyundai Motor to build 1st car plant in Saudi Arabia, leading 46 Korea
- 500 bird strikes reported in past 5 years: data
- 22 busking stages set up at Han River parks
- AleXa to perform on Jingle Ball Tour as 1st K
- SK Signet delivers W5b ultrafast EV chargers to Revel
- [Herald Interview] Kim Gi